Pop Works nightclub in Doncaster faced an emergency evacuation in the early hours of Sunday morning (July 30) due to the release of a “chemical substance,” resulting in the hospitalization of eight individuals. South Yorkshire Police responded to distressing scenes as clubgoers exhibited symptoms like coughing, vomiting, and respiratory distress. Thankfully, the hospitalized individuals have been discharged, with police indications pointing toward the substance being pepper spray.
Superintendent Peter Thorp of Doncaster Police stated that while the effects of this incident were comparatively minor, the intention behind bringing such a substance into the venue was clearly to cause harm or panic. The investigation remains ongoing, and authorities are appealing to witnesses for information.
Pop Works nightclub shared a statement on Facebook, expressing their regret over the incident and underscoring their commitment to customer safety. The club extended gratitude to their staff, along with the fire service and police, for their prompt response.
Witnesses recounted the ordeal, describing sensations of burning in their mouth, throat, and nose after coming into contact with the substance. The incident’s aftermath even led to panic attacks and asthma exacerbations for some attendees. The unsettling event has left some patrons reconsidering their future visits to the nightclub.
Written by: Artificial Intelligence Technology